We love Christmas. We searched through some of our most loved books to find a few of our favourite ‘Christmassy’ quotes.
* * *
1. ‘I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.’ - A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
2. ‘Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas time.’ - A Little House Sampler, Laura Ingalls Wilder
3. ‘Harry had never in all his life had such a Christmas dinner. A hundred fat, roast turkeys; mountains of roast and boiled potatoes; platters of chipolatas; tureens of buttered peas, silver boats of thick, rich gravy and cranberry sauce - and stacks of wizard crackers every few feet along the table.’ - Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling
4. ‘Pray, dear madam, another glass; it is Christmas time, it will do you no harm.’ - William Makepeace Thackeray, The Kickleburrys on the Rhine
5. ‘After a while, they played at forfeits; for it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child himself’ - A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
6. ‘This is quite the season indeed for friendly meetings. At Christmas everybody invites their friends about them, and people think little of even the worst weather’ - Emma, Jane Austen
7. ‘Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more’ - How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Dr. Seuss
8. ‘A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together’ - Leaving Home, Garrison Keillor
9. ‘It struck him that how you spent Christmas was a message to the world about where you were in life.’ - About A Boy, Nick Hornby
10. ‘I don’t want Christmas season to end, because it’s the only time I can legitimately indulge in on particular addiction: glitter.’ - Paris in Love, Eloisa James
* * *
What books do you guys love to read at christmas time?