Six Quotes to Celebrate 120 Years of Ernest Hemingway. ✨
July 21st marks 120 years of Ernest Hemingway. The Nobel Prize winner was born in Illinois in 1899 and to this day is seen as one of literature's greatest novelist from the twentieth century. The writer was known for his terse and objective writing style, making his words impactful and memorable. Hemingway sadly died in Idaho in 1961 following an ongoing battle with depression.
Hemingway has produced some beautiful work, here's a selection of our favourite quotes from his wonderful writings - a small way of celebrating and a gentle nod to his brilliance.
1. "Courage is grace under pressure."
2. "There is no friend as loyal as a book."
We all know of that emotional attachment you can have with your favourite book and how you feel while reading it - books are always there for us.
3. "When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen."
Often we may have much on our mind that we want to say and so listening falls by the wayside. Do not listen to reply, listen to understand.
4. "The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."
You sometimes have to take a leap of faith, if you are unsure whether someone deserves your trust then there’s only one way to find out. Life is not for living in isolation.
5. "As you get older it is harder to have heroes, but it is sort of necessary."
Always cherish the heroes and special people you have in your life as they can be very hard to find. Work out what they have in common and explore the globe for more heroes.
6. "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know."
A true sentence is one that you know in your heart of hearts is correct. Once you have that as your starting point you can write anything. When Hemingway was having difficulty writing he reminded himself of this.
Happy Birthday, Ernest Hemingway!