Thursday 21st June marks the first official day of Summer and we are so ready for it. To get us that little bit more excited, we thought we would share some of the most beautiful quotes from literature about the wonderful season itself.
1. "And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby.
2. "Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August." - Jenny Han, The Summer I Turned Pretty.
3. "June, the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside." - Maud Hart Lovelace, Betsy-Tacy & Tib.
4. "Early June, the world of leaf and blade and flowers explode and every sunset is different." - John Steinbeck, The Winter Of Our Discontent.
5. "The castle grounds were gleaming in the sunlight as though freshly painted; the cloudless sky smiled at itself in the smoothly sparkly lake, the satin-green lawns rippled occasionally in a gentle breeze: June had arrived." - J.K Rowling, Harry Potter & The Order of The Phoenix.
6. "I wondered what it would be like to live in a world where it was always June" - L.M Montgomery, Anne of The Island.
7. "Summer was on the way; Jem & I awaited it with impatience. Summer was our best season: it was sleeping on the back screened porch in cots, or trying to sleep in the tree house; summer was everything good to eat; it was a thousand colours in a parched landscape; but most of all, summer was Dill." - Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird.
8. "One must maintain a little bit of summer, even in the middle of winter." - Henry David Thoreau.
9. "Summer afternoon - summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English Language." - Henry James, Edith Wharton's 'A Backward Glance.'
10. "Summer, after all, is a time when wonderful things can happen to quiet people. For those few months, you’re not require to be who everyone thinks you are, and that cut-grass smell in the air and the chance to dive into the deep end of a pool give you a courage you don’t have the rest of the year. You can be grateful and easy, with no eyes on you, and no past. Summer just opens the door and lets you out." - Deb Caletti, Honey, Baby, Sweetheart.
We can't wait!